Gunnison Giddyup

The Student News Site of Gunnison High School

Gunnison Giddyup

Gunnison Giddyup

Scoreboard

Screen Time at GHS

Screen time is the amount of time spent using a device such as a smartphone, computer, TV or video game console. 

At the Gunnison High School the GHS Journalism class took it upon themselves to interview students about their usage of devices. While interviewing 21 students they found that the average screentime per day was 5.2 hours. Although the screentime varied from 40 minutes to 10 hours. These hours were spent on a variety of apps including several social media platforms.  

“The phone is such an easy way to distract yourself and get out of things. It’s also an easy way to pass time,” junior Damyon Funk said

“I think it could both be positive and negative like it could be educational and get us to be more creative in some way but it might also lead to sleep issues, and less motivation into doing your usual activities,” junior Maria Sabas said.

Screen time can be misleading, depending on the amount of time students spend using their devices in the classroom. A lot of classes at GHS require students to be on a screen a fair amount of time. Screen time can be productive and educational with the right content. 

“I think screens affect students because they have allowed for students, and people in general, to have short attention spans. Therefore, it’s harder to learn, and students have less motivation to learn. I also believe it has affected the way subjects are being taught,” GHS senior Johanna Hernandez said.