Gunnison Giddyup

The Student News Site of Gunnison High School

Gunnison Giddyup

Gunnison Giddyup

GHS Struggles with School Spirit; Working On Solutions to Improve a Quiet Bullpen

People in the community have noticed the low level of energy at sports events and are hoping for that to change.

Jim Woytek; Principal of Gunnison High School, as well as people in the community, have recently noticed a lack of school spirit at athletic events compared to previous years. Woytek has plans to make sure students have the classic high school experience. 

On Friday, August 25, there were multiple high school sports events and many people who attended noticed the people in the environment were off. At the volleyball games and football game, people noticed how low the energy levels were in the student sections. When this was brought to Woytek’s attention, he started to brainstorm ways to fix that problem. He recently shared his ideas with teachers and students to make sure the school can help him go through with his plans. A few of Woytek’s plans include sharing a recording of the school song that Mr. Koepsel is providing, increasing the number of assemblies, and encouraging upperclassmen to be good leaders for the underclassmen. In order to get the freshmen more involved, the now mandatory class, Cowboy 101, is focusing on building a better school community. In this class, freshmen learn about GHS high school culture and basic high school skills.

Mrs. Wise’s Cowboy 101 class learning about the history of GHS school spirit. (Cooper Imel)

“Being in Cowboy 101 has taught me what it means to be a Cowboy.  From what the culture of the high school is, to the support people need to give so they can receive, this class has taught me a lot. I feel like my grade is picking up organization skills with the help of my teacher’s motivation.” Freshman, Althea Stansbery, says after being asked what she has taken in from the class so far. 

The increase of assemblies will include upperclassmen, underclassmen, and all grades. By doing this, Woytek hopes to bring the students closer and get them to be more of a community. 

As the school year goes on, younger students will learn chants and cheers that students do in the bullpen at games. Energy levels will rise, games will be more fun to attend, and the players will feel more support from their fellow classmates.

Upperclassmen leading the Bullpen, cheering on the Varsity volleyball team (Cooper Imel)

Woytek also says that enforcing seniority, older people who are higher in status than younger people will be a step in the process. By doing this, he hopes to have the leaders in front of the Bullpen so younger kids can see them and be encouraged to do the same things as them.