Gunnison Giddyup

The Student News Site of Gunnison High School

Gunnison Giddyup

Gunnison Giddyup

Scoreboard

High Attitude Dance Academy in The Gunnison Valley

High Attitude Dance Academy

Many people are unaware of Gunnison having a competitive and recreational dance team and school. Owned and operated by Crystal Ashe, HADA is located at 20 N Wisconsin St. The dance team consists of an elite, elite select, prep, and the prep select competition team. These teams are made up of different level dancers, ranging from 4 to 18. As an elite full member, you are given two solos and up to five group dances, while the apprentices and juniors of the elite team act as understudies. Prep or elite prep is the next age group down who train for elite. Both elite select and prep select are teams that participate only part time  The performances include styles such as hip hop, jazz, contemporary, lyrical, and tap. 

The rest of the team learns and practices five separate dances to compete at state competitions in Denver and sometimes nationals in Texas or Nevada.

Over the weekend of January 13th and 14th the team attended and competed at the Hollywood Vibe Dance competition. The team also competes at multiple different competitions during the rest of the season. During the beginning of the year, the entire studio puts on a local performance. 

The school is very inclusive and welcoming to all students. Provided, is a wide range of dance styles from classical ballet to acrobatics. High Attitude Dance Academy is a very supportive group of teachers who push the students to be the best that they can be. The dancers are very disciplined and hardworking. 

The studio is extremely ballet centered and is focused strongly on technique and performance skills. The teachers value the dedication and commitment of the students as well, and they enforce fairly strict guidelines to ensure that students can learn in the best possible way. Studio etiquette includes being in class on time, respecting each other, and accepting consequences. Along with following the dress code. 

Being a part of the dance academy offers many different opportunities, where the dancers are exposed to and taught by professional and guest choreographers. Sometimes they are welcomed to participate in nationals and regional competitions.