Gunnison Giddyup

The Student News Site of Gunnison High School

Gunnison Giddyup

Gunnison Giddyup

Scoreboard

New culinary arts program available for students

Damyon Funk
Angel Sabas-Gonzalez and Gifford Jauregui.

There is a new culinary arts program in the Gunnion valley that is run by the Pathways program in conjunction with Gunnison High School. This program has been in the works for several years and this year is the first year that the program is up and running. The purpose of the program is to give local kids opportunities that will help them in what they want to pursue after high school without having to go to college. This gives them several opportunities in the valley. 

With this being the program’s first year, there are two students participating. Those students being Angel Sabas-Gonzalez and Gifford Jauregui. These students are doing an online food management course while having a paid internship at Sodexo’s at Western Colorado University . They will have an online beverage management course in the Spring while they complete their internship. 

“It really helps fuel my passion for cooking,” said  Gifford Jauregui When asked about why he joined the culinary arts program.

Students who complete both of the online courses and get their 230 hours of internship will get two high school credits and will receive an industry credential certificate from WCU.  By having this certificate they will be employable right out of high school.