Gunnison Giddyup

The Student News Site of Gunnison High School

Gunnison Giddyup

Gunnison Giddyup

Scoreboard

Gunnison School Board Election

Gunnison country times
candidates for upcoming school election

A school board election for the Gunnison Watershed School District is taking place on Tuesday, November 7th. This election will be different from any election in the past 30 plus years. For over 30 years, school board candidates have run uncontested for the school board, but now six candidates are running for three open positions. 

What do the students of Gunnison High School know about this election? I asked eight students what they could tell me about this upcoming election. Two students didn’t know there was an election and three students said that they didn’t care and it was not important to them. The rest of the students said they only knew this was the first contested election in a long time and that they thought that there were six candidates.

Teacher and librarian Ms. Danos said what she knew about the election, “I know this is the first election in a very long time and there are lots of qualified people running for the position.”

The candidates are Brookhart Anne,Coleman Jody, Dobson Cori, Henry Lisa , Kruthaupt Greg, and VanderVeer Mark. Anne Brookhart, Jody Coleman, and Mark VanderVeer are all running as a slate, which is a group of candidates that run in multi-seat or multi-position elections for a common platform. The other three candidates, Cori Dobson, Lisa Henry, and Greg Kruthaupt are running as independent candidates. The three candidates with the most votes will enter the school board.  

If you’re a student who is old enough to vote, make sure you get your vote out and make your voice heard.