Finishing off the Golf Season

Maddie+Vollendorf%2C+Kaylee+Vincent%2C+and+Allie+Schwartz+at+a+golf+tournament+

Maddie Vollendorf, Kaylee Vincent, and Allie Schwartz at a golf tournament

Ashlyn Cowan, Editor

The Gunnison High School girls golf team competed recently in Salida and Grand Junction and at the home tournament in Gunnison, which were the last regular-season tournaments of the year The team continues to improve at every tournament, and several members are set to compete in regionals. In Salida they placed 7th out of 9 teams and at the Bookcliff course they placed 10th out of 15 teams, with Madison Vollendorf placing 1st and Aiden Tomlin joining varsity for the first time.  Aiden said that she likes playing with varsity because you don’t play in a scramble like the jv.

This year was the last year of golf for the seniors, Blue Noble, Elania Dillard, and Sam Brown. They unfortunately missed the regional and state tournaments because it conflicted with graduation. The team went aspen but had to sit out because McClure pass was closed, which meant that the Dos Rios tournament was the final competitive golf competition. The Cowboys finished fourth at Dos Rios with a cumulative score of 330. Blue Noble had the highest for her team and Allie Shwarts and Aiden Tomlin coming in second and third with the scores of 109 and 111. 

GHS will still send a team to compete at the regional tournament which is next Monday, May 22, in Craig. Senior Schwartz, Sophomore Vollendorf and Freshmen Tomlin and Kaylee Vincent will compete. Coach Mickleson said how he was happy to see the seniors compete for the last time