Who’s Shredding the Slopes at GHS?

A day in the life of a skier at CB

Ester Matias, Features Editor

Skiing is a very hot topic at Gunnison High School (GHS). The town of Gunnison is surrounded by two ski resorts; Monarch Mountain and Mount Crested Butte. 

With nothing to do in the winter, some high school students have taken an appreciation for our surrounding mountains. And they’re spending plenty of time makinglaps on one of the two lift-served ski hills in the area. 

What do they do other than ski? Where do they eat? Who do they go with? The Giddyup caught up with some of these bros and brahs in order to take you on a journey in a day in the life of a skier. 

It’s early in the morning and you are debating on what to do for the day. Do you choose to lay in bed all day or do you decide to go skiing?

The decision is skiing.

Izabella Hartzell wakes up around 9:30 a.m. and begins to get ready. She then unloads her Romp skis at the RTA bus stop and endures a slow and painful ride up to CB. 

The bus comes to a halt and Hartzell goes to the base of the mountain and gets on Silver Queen. 

“(I like) Silver Queen, because it goes to better runs and the line moves quicker,” says Hartzell, a sophomore at GHS. 

It won’t be long before she runs into her buddy Mallory Kowal, who is also a sophomore at GHS.

Kowal usually wakes up at around 8 a.m and eats a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast. She also rides the RTA bus, with her Zag skis, and occasionally goes skiing with Hartzell. 

Kowal also prefers the Silver Queen lift because it features harder runs. Those runs include: International, Sunset Ridge, North Face and Headwall. 

Around lunchtime both Kowal and Hartzell go to the Burger Company to eat. They both order “The Heifer” and on occasion the plain fries. 

“The Heifer” consists of a single or double patty, melted cheese, bacon, lettuce, pickles, onions, and mojo sauce, all on a buttered bun. Doesn’t that make you want to go to the Burger Company? 

After eating and being fully satisfied they hit the slopes again. On average ,they ski for five hours and head back to Gunnison. 

Senior Nate Mount prefers to sleep in and enjoy his morning. He drives himself to CB, and stops at the “Gasser” to get a “Surly.” Like most skiers, Mount favors the Silver Queen lift because of the more challenging trails. 

At the end of the day, cold and tired from making laps up and down the mountain, hot chocolate is one way to wind down. All three skiers hop on their preferred method of transportation and head back to their homes.

There’s nothing quite like warming your feet in front of a fire.